Thanks to the development of fixing materials and attachment techniques, for several years stone (natural or artificial) has been an attractive option for architects and builders, for use as a decorative, non-supporting coating for façades.
The tiles are adhered directly to the support with adhesive mortar and mechanical anchors. With this system, the stress that can be generated in the façade, is taken directly to the tiles, and this can cause them to work loose.
Using an appropriate anchoring system is essential when working with glued façades, and therefore it is important to use VAT® FLEX RAPID as the fixing material, i.e.: an adhesive mortar with high adherence and flexibility, which helps to prevent the tiles from falling.
PREPARING THE SUPPORT
Apply directly to concrete elements, or plaster on brickwork.
When applying the coating to mortar plastering, wait one week for each centimetre thickness of the plastering. It is important that the plastering shrinks fully.
Check that the support is strong and stable, and check smoothness with a 2 m ruler to avoid any excessive adhesive mortar thickness.
Set out beforehand to determine the exact position of the slabs.
Spread VAT® FLEX RAPID on to the support with a notched trowel.
Apply the Floating and buttering method (see page 19) when the tile is larger than 900 cm2 and/or weighs more than 40 kg/m2.
Press the tiles to ensure they all form a solid surface, thus avoiding any gaps between the tile and the support.
The arrangement joints between the tiles during fixing must be at least 5 mm. Use BORADA® UNIVERSAL or BORADA® PLUS.
Correctly plan and implement the movement joints (width 8 to 10 mm) and seal with BETOFLEX.
- Do not apply in wet weather, or at temperatures <5ºC or >30ºC.
- Do not fix the tiles with spots of cement.
- You can use VAT® FLEX RAPID on outdoor base plate renders on a brick support, up to a maximum height of 2 m.
- In specific cases when the render is very heavy or the support is not yet mature, it is important to use PAM® SUPERFLEX COMPACT, an adhesive mortar with high adherence and very high deformability.
- It is advisable to leave a 5 cm gap between the first façade slab and the floor, to prevent water rising via capiliary action, which could damage the coating materials.
- Use VAT® FLEX RAPID for fixing translucid stone, clear marble and transparent parts, because thanks to their quick drying action, prevent stains and efflorescence.
- Use PROPAM® CEM RAPID to attach the anchors to the support.